Be Prepared for Spring Storms
Spring is here and with that comes the possibility of storms! Wind, hail and of course floods can happen anytime. It is important to make sure you and your home are protected in the event of a severe storm.
- Look at your home and property. Make sure you check your gutters, roof and property for damage or potential hazards. If you have a chimney be sure to inspect that as well as heavy rain and a damaged chimney are not a good combination.
- Check your trees. I know it is time consuming to prune trees and inspect the branches, but this could prevent major damage to your home and cars in the event of heavy rain and winds. Trees and limbs should be at least 10 feet way from your home.
- Check your sump pump. Here at SERVPRO® of Medford/Everett this is one of the most common cause of home damage during a storm. If you do not have a battery backup, it would be advised to think about investing in one.
- Secure loose items. Making sure that your grill, patio furniture, trash cans etc. are secured could prevent major damage to your home and items themselves. Securing these items could also prevent your items from damaging a neighbor’s property and that comes with a whole new set of issues.
- KNOW YOUR COVERAGE! Please review your insurance policy yearly so that you can be clear on what is covered and not covered! You would be shocked at the varying values of homes and contents from year to year. Make sure that your policy is COMPLETELY covering you and your property.